Between working and raising two boys, I am forever on the hunt for recipes I can throw together with things I have around the house, and I most especially love “ONE POT” dishes – the dishes in our sink pile up quicker than I can say TAKE-OUT! However, I do love to cook and although it’s not a health-conscious choice, I really prefer the taste of home cooked meals.
This recipe evolved from one of my panicked days when I needed something to make with the few random ingredients I had on hand. I altered it quite a bit, and have since turned it into a recipe that I can change up and it still tastes great. Not only do my little boys love it, but my husband and I do too – a rarity these days with all our picky food tastes.
Without further ado, here is my “one-pot sausage and egg noodle dish” recipe. I spent a lot of time naming it.
Ingredients Needed, and their alternatives. You can make this work, I promise! With all the alternative ingredients, I listed my favorite option first.
- 1lb of Uncased Italian Sausage, mild hot or sweet - OR 1lb of Sage Sausage roll - OR 1lb of Kielbasa - OR 1lb of Ground Beef (Easy right???)
- 1 Package of 10 or 12oz Wide Egg Noodles
- Dried Thyme
- 1/2c of Half & Half - OR 1/2c of Whole Cream - OR 1/2c of milk
- 1 cube of chicken bouillon - OR 1 cup of chicken stock - OR 1 cup or 1 cube of any bouillon you'd like. You'll also need 1c of water if you use the cubes, no water if you use stock.
- 1 finely chopped onion (yellow, red, or white!)
- 1c of finely shredded Parmesan cheese - OR 1c of any shredded Italian cheese blend
I am assigning measurements for the ingredients, but I eye ball a lot of it, this is as close as I can think of. So, if you add a little more, it's ok! Everything cooks up nicely together. This is a hodge-podge version of when I made it. I didn't have the sausage or unopened packs of egg noodles (some reason recipes for this never match the ounces of my bags).
So here we have the sage sausage roll, 2 different brands of egg noodles half to a third empty - not exact? I don't care, throw caution to the wind! I was also out of Parmesan, and discovered an italian cheese mix worked just fine.
Cooking this dish is super simple, which is what I am all about on a busy night.
- Using a large stock pot, or whatever you normally cook noodles in, brown your sausage and chopped up onions, approx. 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add some dried thyme to your liking, this ingredient is key IMO. I put about 2 tbsp, but you could do 1tbsp if you don't want a rich thyme flavor. Stir in 1c of water + 1 boullion cube OR your 1c of stock.
- Stir in your dairy (Cream, Milk, or Half & Half), and dump in your noodles!
- Turn down the heat & cover and cook 12 minutes on a simmer or until noodles are soft.
- Remove from heat, and stir in your cheese (Parmesan or Italian blend)
- Enjoy and congratulate yourself on such an easy & delicious dinner.
I hope you enjoy the ease of such a yummy recipe, post a comment and let me know which version you used and what you thought!